• Advertisement

Striker 'must play' in goal

Got a gripe? Got a prediction? Want to just rant on last weekends game? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: amsroks

Striker 'must play' in goal

Postby amsroks » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:29 am

North Korea will be forced to play striker Kim Myong-Won as a goalkeeper during this month's World Cup in South Africa due to a mix-up about the squad.
The team had decided to bolster their attacking options by including the forward in the slot reserved for a third goalkeeper, taking the risk that they would be able to survive the tournament with just two glove men.
But FIFA rules insist that all squads must include three keepers, and that those three players are prohibited from playing in outfield positions.

And with the deadline for the squads to be named having passed, no changes will be permitted except in the case of a serious injury more than 24 hours before a team's first match.

"The three players listed as goalkeepers can only play as goalkeepers during the FIFA World Cup and cannot play outfield," FIFA said in a statement.

"Kim Myong-Won will not be allowed to play as an outfield player if he has been put on the list as a goalkeeper."
amsroks

Re: Striker 'must play' in goal

Postby eoinzy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Ye, i was gonna post this up myself.
This is silly! The rules state that you can have a 23-man squad in the world cup. 3 of them HAVE to be goalkeepers, but you can have 1 defender, 1 midfielder and 17 strikers if you want, because players are classed as either goalkeepers or outfield players.

Initially I agreed with the koreans on this one and though they should be allowed, but the more I think about it, I am on FIFAs side, for once. Every tournament theres always injuries. If some team lose their star striker and only have limited backup, while Korea have lotsa backup, then its just not fair, so one rule for all is what I say. Poor guy though. coz im sure he was delighted to get the call up only to be told hes not gonna play now.
eoinzy
Site Admin

Return to Sport