• Advertisement

Mattel Mindflex

Discuss any wonders of the modern age, as well as wonders of the old age...but mostly the modern age.

Moderator: amsroks

Mattel Mindflex

Postby eoinzy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:35 am

In case you're not familiar with the Mattel Mindflex, heres a picture:
Image Image
Image Image

Basically its a "board game" where you strap a band around your head that reads your brainwaves. depending on what brainwaves you output, the board game will change. In other words, the point of the game is to move a ball around the board. If you panic, then the ball will go all over the place. If you're calm, the ball will float around and you'll win or whatever!

Anyway, who cares about that!! Heres a MUCH BETTER use for the games technology!!

How We Made the Most Painful Toy Hack Ever

We wanted to hack a device, so that unless you remained calm and your brain stayed idle, it would shock the hell out of you. Would the horrible fear of impending pain cause you to clear your mind, or concentrate and receive said pain? Would extended use of the device ruin your neural net so that you could no longer concentrate for fear of being shocked?

As soon as we saw the Mindflex toy pop up on Gizmodo, I ordered one. I've wanted an electroencephalogram (EEG) since I saw one on Scientific Amercian Frontiers when I was 9. Oh yes, the power to read minds, or at least brainwave activity.

The Mindflex utilizes a wireless headset to detect the frequency of your brain activity. If you are calm and idle, no LEDs will light up. If you are concentrating strongly, all of the LEDs will light up (and a little motor will levitate a ball). I happened to know that Eli, the other founder here at Harcos Labs, absolutely hated being shocked. This project was going to be DELIGHTFUL.

lol theres more photos and some very technical details on the original site, if you're interested.
http://www.harcoslabs.com/mostpainful.html
eoinzy
Site Admin

Re: Mattel Mindflex

Postby amsroks » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:09 am

you should have a like(or equivalent!) button!!
amsroks

Postby dingo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:29 pm

hmmmmmm

i might actually install a "share on facebook/twitter" button today, eg when u click on the "share" button its adds it onto ur twitter or facebook pages so then people can "like" it!

what ya reckon? :idea:
dingo
Site Admin

Postby amsroks » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Good idea!!! *like*
amsroks

Postby dingo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:52 am

this shall be my job for the day!!

does everyone have twitter and facebook accounts? coz i'd imagine u need to be logged into them for it to work!
dingo
Site Admin

Return to Technology